Skip to content

False Advertising

If you have the victim of false or misleading advertising, our legal team of New Jersey  consumer fraud attorneys may be able to help you recover damages. Please take a few moments to look over the information on this page to learn more.

What is False or Misleading Advertising?

Any type of false, inaccurate, or deceptive claims made in connection with a product or service purchased by a consumer may be considered false or misleading. Federal and state laws mandate that all advertisements maintain an objective, direct interpretation of the truth, be fair, and reflect no effort to deceive the consumer. Additionally, all advertisers, if necessary, are required to prove the authenticity of the claims made in their advertisements.

back to top ]

What Are Examples of False or Misleading Advertising?

  • Some companies may try the bait and switch tactic, a strategy that has been deemed illegal by the Federal Trade Commission Act. Bait and switch advertising occurs when a company promotes a specific product or deal without ever having the intention of selling said product. A company may hint at an ideal, bargain-bottom price for an item, only to attempt to sell a different item at a higher cost.
  • Deceptive form contracts, which aim to confuse consumers and distract from high prices and bad deals.
  • The use of fine print, a time-tested retail scam that remains highly effective
  • False displays or claims that a store is going out of business or selling factory direct products
  • Neglecting to convey when an offer expires
  • Raising prices for the sole purpose of making it appear that a better deal is available
  • High-pressure sales tactics that could make a consumer uncomfortable and influence a final sale

back to top ]

What Happens to Companies That Use False or Misleading Advertising??

Companies found guilty are often required to stop employing their deceptive practices, are subject to considerable fines, and may be compelled to publicly correct the ad’s message.

If a consumer suffers a damage as a result of false or misleading advertising, the consumer may bring an action and force the company to pay monetary damages, and make changes in their conduct.

How Do I Contact an Attorney to Discuss My Case?

Please fill out the Free Case Evaluation form on the top right side of this page and we will respond within 24 hours. If you wish to speak with someone immediately, call our client-intake specialist, Ken Cooper, at (856) 308-5426.