Skip to content

Auto Accidents

If you have recently been the victim of an auto accident, our legal team of New Jersey accident lawyers may be able to help you recover damages. Please take a few moments to look over the information on this page.


What should I do first?

Accidents can be emotional experiences, so it is critical that you calm down and take control of the situation. Here’s a short checklist of what to do:

  1. Seek medical help immediately. Even if you don’t think your injuries are serious, see your doctor as soon as possible. Some injuries may not surface for days or even weeks after the accident, so it’s best to make sure you catch any minor injuries before aggravating them.
  2. File a police report. Check to make sure a police report was filed at the time of the accident. If it wasn’t, notify the police immediately. You’ll want to get all the details into the official report.
  3. Collect names and contact information. Make sure you have the names, addresses and phone numbers of everyone involved in the accident and any witnesses.
  4. Gather information. Take pictures of your injuries and damages to your car. Also, gather your insurance policies and notify your insurance of the accident.
  5. Consult with a lawyer. It’s important to discuss your case with a lawyer before you fill out any insurance forms, sign any checks, or meet with an insurance company representative – particularly the other driver’s insurance company. You can request a free case evaluation with one of our lawyers by filling out the Free Case Evaluation form on the top right side of this page.
  6. Start a journal. The best way to keep track of what the injury is costing you is to start a daily journal describing how the injury is affecting you and your immediate family. You should also write down all your expenses, notes, transportation costs, lost wages, and any other relevant details.

back to top ]


What can I expect if I contact an attorney?

Once you request a Free Case Evaluation, a New Jersey attorney will contact you to discuss the details of your case. These include:

  • interviewing you to learn your side of the story
  • determining who’s at fault for the auto accident
  • evaluating how extensive and severe your injuries are
  • estimating the amount of your loss

If both you and your lawyer are satisfied that you have a viable case, your lawyer will begin building your case. This includes:

  • collecting all available information including the police report and other documents
  • interviewing all witnesses
  • reviewing your medical records including doctor reports and hospital records
  • finding an expert witness trained in accident investigations, if needed

Your lawyer does this so that he or she can re-enact the accident scene before a judge or jury. It is critical to have all the information available so you can paint as clear a picture as possible of what actually happened and who is at fault.

back to top ]


Do I have to file a lawsuit?

Not necessarily. Many minor cases are settled without filing a lawsuit. However, if you have suffered an injury that required medical attention and rehabilitation, an attorney can help you recover the expenses you incur as well as compensation for pain and suffering by presenting a strong case supported by irrefutable evidence.

back to top ]


How do I prove who was at fault in the accident?

The heart of your case will involve proving what rules the other person violated as well as what conditions influenced the situation. These may be:

  • disobeying traffic signals or signs
  • speed limit violations
  • weather conditions
  • driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • traffic violations like driving on the wrong side of the road

Your attorney will look at a number of sources such as police reports, state traffic laws, and witnesses to present the strongest case for who was really at fault in your accident.

back to top ]


What compensation am I entitled to?

The exact amount of money you can recover can’t be determined without analyzing all information related to your injury including your medical bills, loss of income, and the severity of your injury. Each case involves a different set of circumstances, and therefore different amounts of money.

New Jersey law allows recovery for pain and suffering, disfigurement, past and future medical bills, and past and future lost wages. Also, if you have a previous injury, you may be able to recover damages for re-injuring or aggravating it.

back to top ]


What if none of the vehicles are insured?

Even if all cars involved do not have insurance, it may still be possible to be compensated for your injuries. If you were a passenger or driving someone else’s car, you may be able to recover uninsured benefits from your own car insurance.

back to top ]


How long will my case take?

While we handle all cases as quickly as possible, the length of time varies from case to case. It is important to realize that once you settle your claim, you cannot go back for more money if you realize later that your injuries are more severe than you thought. Therefore, it is crucial to collect as much information as possible about your injuries before presenting your case before a judge.

back to top ]


How long will it take me to receive my money?

That depends on a number of factors such as how serious your injury is and whether your case is settled or goes to trial. If you have a serious injury, it’s best not to settle until you receive sufficient medical treatment and rehabilitation so you can better estimate how much your injury will cost you in the long run.

back to top ]


What are the attorney’s fees?

If we accept your case, there are no out of pocket fees or costs to you. We are reimbursed a small percentage of the amount we recover for you – so if you don’t get paid, neither do we.

back to top ]


How do I get started?

Please fill out the Free Case Evaluation form on the top right side of this page and we will respond within 24 hours.

If you wish to speak with someone immediately, call our client-intake specialist, Ken Cooper, at (856) 308-5426.